Tuesday 13 November 2012

Brenda Dyer...Love's Prophecy!

Hello!

Earlier this year, I had the pleasure of meeting a lovely author named Brenda Dyer. Then I got to read her book Love's Prophecy. It has fast become one of my favorite books ever, one I know I will return to again. I just had to have Brenda here today and am so pleased she's sharing two excerpts, on from Love's Prophecy, and one from her current WIP. Please welcome Brenda Dyer!





1)    Did you always want to be an author?  If not, what else would you have done?

 

No, I didn’t always want to be a writer/author. In fact, I didn’t care for writing back in high school.  I had cool story ideas running around my brain, but it seemed too hard to get them from my head down on paper. LOL, the few times I did write a story, it read nothing like how I saw it in my mind.

When the idea for Love’s Prophecy came to me, I had no other choice but to write it. When I tried to ignore the budding story, the characters haunted me, driving me crazy.

If I didn’t become an author I would have become a mother, chef, gardener, painter...wait, I am all of those things, LOL.

What I SHOULD have been—and wanted to before I started liking boys and partying—was to become a vet. I believe I would have been a good one.

 

2)    What is the strangest job you ever had and why?

The strangest job I ever had was a Chambermaid. To this day I won’t sleep on a hotel/motel bed using their blankets and bedspreads—I KNOW they don’t get washed very often, and I know what gets left behind on them...

 

3)    What is your favourite book of all time and why?

Actually, I have three favorites: Fellowship of the Ring. Two Towers. Return of the King.

The why is because they are A.W.E.S.O.M.E. Plain and simple, lol.

 

4)    Describe your ideal hero or heroine (details please! *wink wink*)

My ideal heroine is smart and strong—I’m not talking physical strength, I mean emotional strength. And she needs to have strength of character. I’m not really drawn to the kick-ass type of heroines who are stronger than the heroes, lol. I also need her to have a great sense of humor, and to be able to look and think outside the box.

As for what I look for in a hero, well it’s pretty much the same characteristics as the heroine only I do like a hero that can and does kick some ASS! And if he looks like Aragorn from Lord of the Rings, then that doesn’t hurt either.

 

5)    If you could share a romantic evening with any character from romance literature (any genre), who would it be and what would you do to him/her (ahem! With him/her)?

I would want to share a romantic evening with Aragorn from the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I would love to lie beside him and listen while he tells me tales of the Eldar Days, while feeding me bits of chocolate covered fruit. Also, I would like for him to teach me how to use a sword. Maybe he would stand behind me with his arms around me as he shows me the proper sword wielding stance. Maybe we would laugh together, and then our faces would come close—maybe our lips would accidently touch. Then he would kiss me tentatively...then next thing ya know, we would be...

In this fantasy I am not married of course, LOL.

 

6)    What comes first for you: plot or character?

Usually plot. Actually, always plot.

 

7)    Who is, hands down, the sexiest actor of all time?

There are many I find sexy. But it’s not the actors per-say I find sexy, but the characters and rolls they play.

 

8)    Describe your writing style please.

LOL, slow. 

 

9)    Who is your favourite author and why?

J.R.R Tolkien. He weaves incredible stories.
 

10) What is on the horizon for you? Any interesting news or books we should know about?

I’m working on book #2 of The Prophecy Series called Prophecy’s Child. This is Kal’s story. I’m very excited about this book and am working furiously to get it ready for publication.
 

Thank you so much Rosanna for having me on your blog. I had a wonderful time. 

 

Brenda Dyer lives in the small town of Sooke off the coast of British Columbia with her husband, two teenage boys, and an assortment of animals.

She is a graduate from LongRidge Writers group.

When she isn't writing you can find her out in her gardens or working with her two miniature horses.

Brenda loves to hear from readers. If you would like to contact her, visit her website.

http://www.brendamdyer.com

http:.//www.brendamdyer.blogspot.com

 

 
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BrendaMDyer
Website: http://www.brendamdyer.com
Twitter: twitter.com/brendaMDyer
Blog site: http://www.brendamdyer.blogspot.com
Buy links: Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00702YWF0
Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/128967
All romance e-books: http://www.allromanceebooks.com/product-love039sprophecy-677191-139.html
Barne and Noble: bit.lylz89nmB
Love's Prophecy Blurb:
Dark warriors of might...
Mel is a vampire warrior sworn to hunt and kill demons in the dark streets of Vancouver. But he's burdened with a new assignment: find the meaning behind the Vampire Prophecy. Having no faith in the gods and their empty words, he believes there's no truth to the ancient legend until he meets Breeana, a human woman who bears the mark of the prophecy and resembles the mysterious woman haunting his dreams. When a vengeful demon spies Breeana in his arms, she is marked for death. He must take her from the world she knows until he can eliminate the threat. But the real danger is the role Breeana must play in fulfilling the prophecy and the intense feelings she brings out in him. Mel is forced to choose between his obligations to his kind, the world, and the woman he loves. Does he have the courage to let the one woman who could heal his wounded heart and soul go, or will he risk her life and bind her to him for all eternity?
Small warriors of light...
Veterinarian, Dr. Breeana Spencer yearns for love and companionship, but the disappointment of failed relationships has left her bitter. She now finds solace in romance novels. But when she meets a mysterious stranger, she's drawn to him by a connection so forceful it shatters all reason, leaving her incapable of resisting him. Yet there's more to him than smoldering good looks and a rock-hard body. As she's drawn deeper into his danger-filled world, she learns she's part of an ancient vampire legend. Breeana fears her future is no longer hers and will not include Mel. As their enemies close in, desperate to destroy them both, she must fight to convince Mel her place is at his side. A  life-altering choice is before her—one that will take all her courage and love to make.
 
Excerpt from Love’s Prophecy, book #1 in The Prophecy Series
 
 “I'm doing this for your own good!” Mel shouted.
“My own good? You're doing this for your own good.” Breeana’s eyes widened. “Oh…my God. You never loved me.”
“How can you say that—”
“If you did, you wouldn't be able to imagine a second without me, so—go to hell!” She jabbed a finger toward the door, her body vibrating with unrestrained rage and pain. “Get out.”
Mel grabbed her arm, but she jerked it from his grasp. “Breeana, you're better off without me. Please try to understand. This isn't easy for me either.”
Madness completely took over and she spun away, screaming, “Don't touch me! Just…leave so I can pack.” She marched across the room to the closet and grabbed her bag.
“Breeana, please listen to me.” He tried to stop her by stepping in her way, but she stalked around him, grabbing her clothes along the way, shoving them into the bag.
On her way to the bathroom, she stopped and glanced at him over her shoulder. He stood in the middle of the room, his face a mask of hurt and pain. “You're right about one thing, I do hate you. I hate you for breaking my heart. I hate you for deceiving me, but most of all, I hate you because you're a coward.” The last one was low but she really didn't give a shit. She wanted to hurt him. Wanted him to feel as miserable and dead inside as she did.
“If you believe nothing else, believe that I love you and always will.” He took a cautious step toward her but she backed away, holding up one hand.
“Don't.” She sniffed. “I can't—I won't listen to any more of your lies.” She brushed at her damp cheeks. “God, I'm pathetic. I was really sucked in by you, wasn't I? Did you have a good laugh at my expense? This silly little human woman falling for all your bullshit. Well, I see you now for what you really are.”
He launched at her and grabbed her arms, hauling her against his chest. “Don't you dare. I never lied to you.”
She tore from his grip, her breath coming in shallow gasps. “You're right, you didn't lie. I guess I was just a fool and an idiot. I was hoping our love would be enough, but obviously not. Though I may be an idiot, but at least I'm not a coward.” She squeezed her eyes shut, blocking out the hurt and anger on his face. “You're so afraid to take a chance on love because of what-ifs. You're so worried that something will go wrong that you opt to throw it away first. And if you think so little of yourself that you feel you don't deserve love, then you are more messed up than I thought.”
Mel backed away from her until the backs of his thighs hit the bed. He sagged down. His eyes were slits of glittering silver riveted on her face. In a barren voice he said, “If you need to hurt me, go ahead, I deserve it, but never question why I'm doing this or that I love you. I do this only to keep you safe.”
“If I hear that excuse one more time, I'm going to scream. You do this to keep yourself safe. You never even gave me a choice. You made the decisions for me. You decided I would come to hate you, not me. You decided I'd be better off without you, not me. So, please, get out and let me pack.”
 
 
Excerpt from my current—unedited—WIP called Prophecy’s Child, book #2 in The Prophecy Series
 
Katherine jerked back and shoved against his chest. “Do you have a condom?”
      It took Kal a sec to understand her words, but then he smiled and nuzzled her neck. “No, but it’s okay. I don’t have any diseases.”
Apparently this wasn’t what she wanted to hear because the next moment she scrambled out from under him and jumped off the bed. She crossed her arms over her chest as she paced the room.
Confused and more turned on than he’d been in years, Kal’s voice was hard when he asked, “What the hell, Kat?”
She stopped at the end of the bed and glared down at him. “The last time we didn’t use a condom I ended up pregnant and alone. So sorry if I don’t want to chance it.”
Kal closed his eyes and rubbed his forehead. He needed a minute to allow his mind and body to catch up with the abrupt change in position. One second they were sharing a passionate kiss, the next…not.
Damnit.
Anger and sexual frustration mixed together to form a hot ball in his gut. A huge part of him wanted to pull her back onto the bed and pick up where they left off, while another side wanted to tie her to a chair, stuff a cloth in her mouth so she couldn’t interrupt, and explain to her exactly why he left her. 
But one look at the hurt shining in her eyes had him squirming with guilt. “You’re right. I’m sorry. We—I got carried away.”
She marched over to the bedroom entrance. “I want you out of my house.”
Not this again. He’d hoped they’d gotten passed this shit at least.
Kal jumped off the bed and followed her back into the living room. “I told you we need to talk.”
She whirled to face him; her hair whipped around her head before settling about her shoulders. A thick strand from her bangs covered one of her eyes, but the message he read in the other was crystal clear: she wished him excruciating pain then death. “Talk? We have nothing to talk about. Ike is my son, not yours.”
“There’re things about me you don’t know—things that directly affect our son.”
With an angry swipe of her hand, she pushed her hair off her face. Her eyes narrowed to deadly slits and her cheeks turned red. “Nothing about you affects my son. I raised him.” She marched to the door and pulled it open. Without looking in his direction, she commanded, “Leave.”
Kal opened his mouth to tell her he was a vampire, but nothing came out. He had renewed respect for Mel who had to tell his wife Breeana about the existence of vampires. He fully appreciated now how hard that must have been.
Screw it.
There was no delicate way to tell her. The best approach was most likely the direct, in-your-face one. In a flash, Kal came up behind her. He stood so close he felt her body heat and smelled the lemony scent that was all her own.
With one hand he slammed the door, and with the other, he twirled her around. Before she could scream he gripped her shoulders, stared down into her frightened eyes and willed his fangs to descend. “I’m a vampire and so is Ike.”
 
 
 
 

27 comments:

  1. Welcome, Brenda! So glad you're here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, my sweet Rosanna. Thank you so much for having me today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I can't wait to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE your writing style - slow :-). Love's Prophecy is SUPER awesome and am waiting for the next one. Great excerpt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carey, thank you, lol. I'm hoping to have this story ready early in the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Victoria, you are so awesome. Thank you! Thanks for all of your support.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having read and reviewed Love's Prophecy I can it is beyond awesome. If you haven't read it - what are you waiting for???
    Now -Brenda - about that slow writing style - impatient people are hanging on to their chairs waiting for book 2!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love to find authors ive not read. i really like vampires and these look good ones. loved the excepts, definitely for my TBR list

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to read Kal's story! I loved Love's Prophecy and the wait for Prophecy's Child is driving me NUTS!!! Your excerpt for both were awesome, and now I'm really biting my nails.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fun interview, ladies! I write slow too, Brenda! And kick-ass heroines are my favorite to write too! Aren't they fun? Congrats on the release and wishing you much success!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rosanna, I'm with you. I just recently read Love's Prophecy by Brenda Dyer and it is one of my favorite reads as well. To all of you that haven't yet read it, I highly recommend it.

    Brenda, I can't wait to read Kal's story! Hurry up! LOL

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Daryl, you are such an angel. I have the review you did for LP framed. It gives me inspiration on those days I just can't find any.
    Thank you for all of your support.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Julie, thank you ever so much for your lovely comment. You made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL, Sheri. You are pure awesomeness wrapped in a little package.

    You know how much I value you and all the support you continue to give me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. D'Ann, how are you feeling? I heard you had a nasty flu. Hope you're feeling better.
    Thank you for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jennifer, thanks for stopping by. And congratulations on your new release! Wishing you millions of sales too, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sandy, the glowing review you gave LP is framed and sits beside my computer. I've been writing like crazy lately because of the inspiration your kind words brought to me. Thank you.
    LOL, Kal is anxious for the world to read about his story. He is an attention seeker, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well I loved your book also, and we have the same all time favorite books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well holy crappo, how great was that WIP excerpt!! You know I'm waiting on this one. :) Awesome interview, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Karen, thank you so much. And we are kindred spirits, you and I. We are lovers of the LOTR's trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Melissa, thank you for coming by. I'm so glad you enjoyed the excerpt from Prophecy's Child.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Rosanna, thank you so very much for having me today. I really enjoyed myself.
    And to all who took time out of their busy lives to stop by, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awesome interview, ladies! Fantastic excerpt, Brenda! Omigosh, now I'm scared to stay in a hotel...LOL :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen, and thanks to all for the wonderful comments. Thanks again, Brenda for being with me here!

      Delete